Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
  1. #16
    Do you ever leave? cava454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vic, Melb
    Posts
    3,508

    Default

    Instead of 90deg to the block like 22 or 30 deg

  2. #17
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cava454 View Post
    Instead of 90deg to the block like 22 or 30 deg
    No there just isnt enough material in the block
    the four bolt caps we use have the outer studs splayed but they only stop east west movement which the cap registers stop anyway its the north south movement that has to be dealt with once we dowel the caps it all just goes away
    its just like the caps on your con rods no cap walk on those and all because of small dowel around the bolt
    ONE STOP MOTORSPORT SHOP - engine building and development - tuning and complete fuel systems-- latest dyno dynamics dyno --click the link to see our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zok-R...9505334?ref=hl

  3. #18
    Do you ever leave? 308HG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    southwest sydney
    Posts
    1,642

    Default

    why 4 bolt it then?
    must make some sort of differance?
    p.b. 10;78@ 123.19mph. never late with a 308

  4. #19
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 308HG View Post
    why 4 bolt it then?
    must make some sort of differance?
    Oh yes of course mate absolutely but as the level of power and rpm increases so too does the amount of work to keep it together and live does too
    so for example we have
    stage one main studs
    stage two four bolt 3 X middle caps
    stage three all five caps and doweled
    ONE STOP MOTORSPORT SHOP - engine building and development - tuning and complete fuel systems-- latest dyno dynamics dyno --click the link to see our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zok-R...9505334?ref=hl

  5. #20
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zok race carbs View Post
    Oh yes of course mate absolutely but as the level of power and rpm increases so too does the amount of work to keep it together and live does too
    so for example we have
    stage one main studs
    stage two four bolt 3 X middle caps
    stage three all five caps and doweled
    Hey mate what your take on:
    - milodon 4 bolt caps
    - centre 3 caps girdled only with 10mm steel girdle (can lower engine further this way)

  6. #21
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Str8upal View Post
    Hey mate what your take on:
    - milodon 4 bolt caps
    - centre 3 caps girdled only with 10mm steel girdle (can lower engine further this way)
    the only thing i don't like about the milidon caps is that on some blocks the outer part is not cast high enough so that the whole cap sits on solid metal so the cap is distorted when torqued up

    as for the girdle are you saying only join the three middle caps with four bolt caps ?
    ONE STOP MOTORSPORT SHOP - engine building and development - tuning and complete fuel systems-- latest dyno dynamics dyno --click the link to see our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zok-R...9505334?ref=hl

  7. #22
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zok race carbs View Post
    the only thing i don't like about the milidon caps is that on some blocks the outer part is not cast high enough so that the whole cap sits on solid metal so the cap is distorted when torqued up

    as for the girdle are you saying only join the three middle caps with four bolt caps ?
    Girdle only on centre 3 caps, no 4 bolt mains.
    Did this (doing) on a 355 that'll turn to 6800rpm. Not having the rear main cap girdled allows a shallower sump means I can lower the engine 20mm and run a proper curved windage tray.
    Got a query about carny spacers too, I'll start a separate thread and keep this one neat.

  8. #23
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Str8upal View Post
    Girdle only on centre 3 caps, no 4 bolt mains.
    Did this (doing) on a 355 that'll turn to 6800rpm. Not having the rear main cap girdled allows a shallower sump means I can lower the engine 20mm and run a proper curved windage tray.
    Got a query about carny spacers too, I'll start a separate thread and keep this one neat.
    it should be fine for that rpm
    it's the number one cap that starts to go pear shaped first
    ONE STOP MOTORSPORT SHOP - engine building and development - tuning and complete fuel systems-- latest dyno dynamics dyno --click the link to see our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zok-R...9505334?ref=hl

  9. #24
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zok race carbs View Post
    it should be fine for that rpm
    it's the number one cap that starts to go pear shaped first
    Cewl

  10. #25
    Part of the furniture gtrboyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    Zok...don't you like welding the blocks for 4 bolt caps?

    Thought it was a necessity for most blocks.

    Remember ages ago the efi blocks had more meat in the webbing where the earlier blocks had very little.

    Only got as far as getting efi block welded in 2 small sections & buying miloden caps,harrop crank & srp pistons then halted.

  11. #26
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    Zok...don't you like welding the blocks for 4 bolt caps?

    Thought it was a necessity for most blocks.

    Remember ages ago the efi blocks had more meat in the webbing where the earlier blocks had very little.

    Only got as far as getting efi block welded in 2 small sections & buying miloden caps,harrop crank & srp pistons then halted.
    i do not weld anything on a block to fit caps the M&W caps need the the registers moved out to the side further and threads go straight into the meatiest part of the webbing
    shame you never got the engine finished mate
    ONE STOP MOTORSPORT SHOP - engine building and development - tuning and complete fuel systems-- latest dyno dynamics dyno --click the link to see our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zok-R...9505334?ref=hl

  12. #27
    Part of the furniture gtrboyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    Did have big plans...lot of time & hard-earned burned.

    Crazy set of allports heads,YT roller rockers,ported hiwinder & harrop single plane...luckily never bought redline tunnel ram

    Complete top end stolen.

    Tempted to have another go sometimes...especially when seeing new engine builds

  13. #28
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    Did have big plans...lot of time & hard-earned burned.

    Crazy set of allports heads,YT roller rockers,ported hiwinder & harrop single plane...luckily never bought redline tunnel ram

    Complete top end stolen.

    Tempted to have another go sometimes...especially when seeing new engine builds
    wow thats f*cked i hate hearing about peoples hard earned money and parts being stolen sorry to hear it man
    ONE STOP MOTORSPORT SHOP - engine building and development - tuning and complete fuel systems-- latest dyno dynamics dyno --click the link to see our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zok-R...9505334?ref=hl

  14. #29
    Do you ever leave? cava454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vic, Melb
    Posts
    3,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    Did have big plans...lot of time & hard-earned burned.

    Crazy set of allports heads,YT roller rockers,ported hiwinder & harrop single plane...luckily never bought redline tunnel ram

    Complete top end stolen.

    Tempted to have another go sometimes...especially when seeing new engine builds
    Such a shame some scum bag has gotten his hands on some of allports legendary work.

  15. #30
    Part of the furniture Deuce.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Meremere Dragway - often!
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    Sorry to hear that gtrboyy. I hope you find motivation/$$/time to give it another try.

    Quote Originally Posted by zok race carbs View Post
    i do not weld anything on a block to fit caps the M&W caps need the the registers moved out to the side further and threads go straight into the meatiest part of the webbing
    Hi zok,
    Can I ask your prefered brand of 4-bolt cap and why? Say, for your stage 2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Holden 304 Stock 4 bolt mains.. What block have them?
    By Mylesphilip in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-08-2016, 08:49 AM
  2. Hyrdrogen Conversion "Water Fuel Cell"
    By Florro in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 14-11-2015, 08:07 PM
  3. 308 to 304 conversion plus "whats it worth"
    By feistl in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 26-06-2014, 07:07 PM
  4. 1/2 mains conversion
    By ryan350 in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 10:30 AM
  5. Holden 350 stroker 4 Bolt mains for sale vic
    By L31M21 in forum For Sale Items
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •