Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 161
  1. #31
    casual poster gaff3rp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Great read. Will definitely be giving it a go when i get ready to start on my engine.
    Would drilling a hole in the centre of the welsh plug so it acts as a restrictor but does not totally block the bypass passage help with collapsing filters or would that weaken the plug too much?

  2. #32
    254RWHP boat anchor EVL253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    bathurst
    Posts
    4,964

    Default

    I'm halfway thru doing this now. if u study a stripped pump u will see that from stock the pressure relief valve regulates after the filter. where that cup plug was where filter screws on is the passage.
    as zok has said before thread this passage right thru screw a grub screw in down the bottom side with loctite. I used a 1/2 inch UNC as size was right n I had that thread tap. don't reinstall the small cup plug in top. this will reference the relief before the filter. this way if it opens it dumps back into the pump. stock bypass dumps it into the engine unfiltered.
    get me a cup plug n gaskets n my pump will be done
    11 second E85 bottle fed boat anchor

  3. #33
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EVL253 View Post
    I'm halfway thru doing this now. if u study a stripped pump u will see that from stock the pressure relief valve regulates after the filter. where that cup plug was where filter screws on is the passage.
    as zok has said before thread this passage right thru screw a grub screw in down the bottom side with loctite. I used a 1/2 inch UNC as size was right n I had that thread tap. don't reinstall the small cup plug in top. this will reference the relief before the filter. this way if it opens it dumps back into the pump. stock bypass dumps it into the engine unfiltered.
    get me a cup plug n gaskets n my pump will be done
    I'm glad someone listened to what I was saying or writing

    I use a 20 mm brass plug


    zok
    ONE STOP MOTORSPORT SHOP - engine building and development - tuning and complete fuel systems-- latest dyno dynamics dyno --click the link to see our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zok-R...9505334?ref=hl

  4. #34
    254RWHP boat anchor EVL253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    bathurst
    Posts
    4,964

    Default

    20 mm brass plug for where the bypass was? both bolt shops in this town which were full of engineering supplies said nope don't have welsh plugs I was like wtf! ran outta time in my lunch hour so I'll go chasing the plug n gaskets elsewhere.
    11 second E85 bottle fed boat anchor

  5. #35
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EVL253 View Post
    20 mm brass plug for where the bypass was? both bolt shops in this town which were full of engineering supplies said nope don't have welsh plugs I was like wtf! ran outta time in my lunch hour so I'll go chasing the plug n gaskets elsewhere.
    yes
    if you get stuck I can mail them to you
    ONE STOP MOTORSPORT SHOP - engine building and development - tuning and complete fuel systems-- latest dyno dynamics dyno --click the link to see our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zok-R...9505334?ref=hl

  6. #36
    254RWHP boat anchor EVL253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    bathurst
    Posts
    4,964

    Default

    thanks zok I rounded up both plug n gaskets this morning.give me something to do while its on stands till I get a new gearbox
    11 second E85 bottle fed boat anchor

  7. #37
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EVL253 View Post
    thanks zok I rounded up both plug n gaskets this morning.give me something to do while its on stands till I get a new gearbox
    no worries
    ONE STOP MOTORSPORT SHOP - engine building and development - tuning and complete fuel systems-- latest dyno dynamics dyno --click the link to see our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zok-R...9505334?ref=hl

  8. #38
    254RWHP boat anchor EVL253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    bathurst
    Posts
    4,964

    Default

    pump all back together. put it on tomorrow after work.CBF tonight n don't think neighbours would appreciate the noise of my car running at this time of night. one day when I get old I might have a quiet exhaust....
    11 second E85 bottle fed boat anchor

  9. #39
    Do you ever leave? Hqtunna4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Beijing, Alaska
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    20mm welch plugs do not fit any of the oil pumps i have. First one i tried was an original pump. Popped out the bypass, grabbed a 20mm plug falls in and out. measured the bypass valve 20.4mm. New plug measures at 20.2 that was my practice pump. opened up the brand new jp standard pump. exactly the same as the original, bypass is 20.2mm. anyone else come across this problem? Tk says he uses 3/4? i seem to need one which is ore like 13/16. Whats the go here?? Only thing i can come up with is you guys are knocking it in past the lip the bypass usually goes in to. which wouldnt seem right to me. Yes its the right hole, and yes ive measured with 2 set of verniers.
    Last edited by Hqtunna4me; 05-10-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    A minute of thinking can save hours of doing

  10. #40
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Auckland NZ
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hqtunna4me View Post
    20mm welch plugs do not fit any of the oil pumps i have. First one i tried was an original pump. Popped out the bypass, grabbed a 20mm plug falls in and out. measured the bypass valve 20.4mm. New plug measures at 20.2 that was my practice pump. opened up the brand new jp standard pump. exactly the same as the original, bypass is 20.2mm. anyone else come across this problem? Tk says he uses 3/4? i seem to need one which is ore like 13/16. Whats the go here?? Only thing i can come up with is you guys are knocking it in past the lip the bypass usually goes in to. which wouldnt seem right to me. Yes its the right hole, and yes ive measured with 2 set of verniers.
    I think the 1 I used was a 21mm bucket.

    Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

  11. #41
    Do you ever leave? Hqtunna4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Beijing, Alaska
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    yep thats what i will have to use, just seems everyone else has used 3/4 or 20mm plugs. As usual i cant seem to get a 21 mm in town, can get everything else though.
    A minute of thinking can save hours of doing

  12. #42
    254RWHP boat anchor EVL253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    bathurst
    Posts
    4,964

    Default

    3/4 inch & knock it in place. I put bit of sealant round the edge socket & extension n few good hard belts with the hammer it went in.long as its blocked off n tight fit
    11 second E85 bottle fed boat anchor

  13. #43
    Do you ever leave? HPE PETE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    BRISBANE
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    i have 2 genuine pumps here one is 18.1mm and the other is 20.4mm, im just going to make an aluminium plug to suit each one

  14. #44
    Do you ever leave? Hqtunna4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Beijing, Alaska
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EVL253 View Post
    3/4 inch & knock it in place. I put bit of sealant round the edge socket & extension n few good hard belts with the hammer it went in.long as its blocked off n tight fit
    3/4 will not fit my pump, thats my point. neither will 20mm. will need 21mm.
    A minute of thinking can save hours of doing

  15. #45
    Do you ever leave?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    2,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hqtunna4me View Post
    yep thats what i will have to use, just seems everyone else has used 3/4 or 20mm plugs. As usual i cant seem to get a 21 mm in town, can get everything else though.
    the steel pumps and aloys have different sizes i have 21 mm plugs pm me your address and i will send you one since i stuffed you up with the tap

    zok
    ONE STOP MOTORSPORT SHOP - engine building and development - tuning and complete fuel systems-- latest dyno dynamics dyno --click the link to see our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zok-R...9505334?ref=hl

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-08-2010, 09:14 PM
  2. Performance Holden 355 stroker
    By bt1355 in forum For Sale Items
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 09:25 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 06:17 PM
  4. holden 6 performance parts
    By big horn in forum For Sale Items
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23-11-2009, 09:59 PM
  5. Prepping a T5 for a worked 355
    By andrew_v in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-04-2007, 10:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •