Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8

    Default 408 cleveland stroker

    Hi , I am new to this forum and have a few questions on my 408 build. It will be a weekend driven streeter and hp isn't a worry for me as I think my plans will get me more than enough. I have chi 208 67cc comp around 11.2 heads and single plane and will be putting a hyd roller 240 / .612 lift in it , and have a 850 dp carb. So my first question is should I go a scat 9000 cast or 4340 crank and secondly is a HV oil pump to much for a clevo. Cheers

  2. #2
    casual poster Willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Bateman Western Australia
    Posts
    255

    Default

    For a streeter a Mellings SV oil pump is all you need. If you are going to use a HV pump then make sure you have a large capacity sump.

  3. #3
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    15,549

    Default

    Forget the hydraulic roller go straight to a solid roller... Its a long large valve, the valvetrain is heavy and it will take some spring pressure to control.. Can be done, but solid roller would make it easier.. You'd go straight to a 255@50thou .650 lift deal... Use a 4340, use the std pressure pump mellings...

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    For a streeter a Mellings SV oil pump is all you need. If you are going to use a HV pump then make sure you have a large capacity sump.
    It's a 6.5 ltr which I'm guessing isn't on the large side

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    Forget the hydraulic roller go straight to a solid roller... Its a long large valve, the valvetrain is heavy and it will take some spring pressure to control.. Can be done, but solid roller would make it easier.. You'd go straight to a 255@50thou .650 lift deal... Use a 4340, use the std pressure pump mellings...
    I have the c3 assembly on my heads 400lbs @ .650 . It says to be used with a hyd roller or solid flat. Do you think they would handle the solid roller ? And obviously will need the 4340 for the extra hp and rpm ? Appreciate the info

  6. #6
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    15,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pagey 06 View Post
    It's a 6.5 ltr which I'm guessing isn't on the large side
    Dont worry about the sump size, worry about having excess oil pressure especially when cold and using a heavier oil...

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    Dont worry about the sump size, worry about having excess oil pressure especially when cold and using a heavier oil...
    Ok . My heads are c3 assembly which says to use a hyd roller or solid flat, it has 400lbs @ .650 lift would this be ok with a solid roller?

  8. #8
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    15,549

    Default

    No, you have to change the springs to suit any cam. These will be no good for a solid roller... You'd need the specs for installed height, seat, open pressure and rate to figure out whether or not they will be OK for your chosen hydraulic roller too.

    You can change the springs if you go solid roller...

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    No, you have to change the springs to suit any cam. These will be no good for a solid roller... You'd need the specs for installed height, seat, open pressure and rate to figure out whether or not they will be OK for your chosen hydraulic roller too.

    You can change the springs if you go solid roller...
    Ok , they are isky 8005A dual with damper. What is the reason for you suggesting the solid roller over hyd ? Appreciate the info to paulzig

  10. #10
    Part of the furniture monaroman76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Whyalla
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Hi Pagey, your proposed engine combo is almost identical to a mate of Mines 408. 11.5:1 Comp, CHI heads and intake manifold, hydraulic roller (240/244 @ 0.050"), pro systems carb. Not sure if it's a cast or billet crank. It made 420 wheel horsepower through a Toploader and Borg Warner diff. It's a tough engine.

  11. #11
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    15,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pagey 06 View Post
    Ok , they are isky 8005A dual with damper. What is the reason for you suggesting the solid roller over hyd ? Appreciate the info to paulzig
    Easier to control with heavy valves, but HR can also be done... Easier to set up, instead of screwing around with preload you can just set the lash and off you pop...

    With a good quality hydraulic roller lifter you can put more spring pressure, but you'll need a billet cam instead of the austempered shit to do it unless you pick a really lazy hydraulic roller lobe, which is what I would suggest if you have your heart set on the hydraulic roller..

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Hi Pagey, your proposed engine combo is almost identical to a mate of Mines 408. 11.5:1 Comp, CHI heads and intake manifold, hydraulic roller (240/244 @ 0.050"), pro systems carb. Not sure if it's a cast or billet crank. It made 420 wheel horsepower through a Toploader and Borg Warner diff. It's a tough engine.
    Good to here mate , can't wait to get this thing in my xy. Have had it sitting there waiting for a very long time.

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    Easier to control with heavy valves, but HR can also be done... Easier to set up, instead of screwing around with preload you can just set the lash and off you pop...

    With a good quality hydraulic roller lifter you can put more spring pressure, but you'll need a billet cam instead of the austempered shit to do it unless you pick a really lazy hydraulic roller lobe, which is what I would suggest if you have your heart set on the hydraulic roller..
    The hyd roller was suggested to me by jack bros (Phil I think) . But I already have the c3 assembled heads , that's why I was heading in that direction. Also maintainence wise.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 408 Cleveland stroker kit
    By Vade Velociter in forum For Sale Items
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2012, 07:02 PM
  2. 393 Cleveland stroker kit
    By Vade Velociter in forum For Sale Items
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 31-01-2012, 10:05 PM
  3. 308 stroker 338 stroker crank rods pistons...and l34 heads
    By 73ljtoranav8 in forum For Sale Items
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-10-2010, 02:30 AM
  4. 390 Mopar stroker or 355/383 Holden stroker???
    By CK_318 in forum Conversions, Rebuilds & Project Cars
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 28-01-2009, 08:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •