Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 64
  1. #16
    Do you ever leave? EH179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ipswich. QLD
    Posts
    3,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    A fan of the single plane
    Always,,, a dual plane reminds me of a box headed spider.
    Last edited by EH179; 07-02-2019 at 08:08 PM.

  2. #17
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    HI
    Actrol
    Your lack of fact based constructive comments and being unable to participate positively in community forum suggests u may well be not so bright yourself .
    You bring back memories of the midget on that Fantasy Island show who always used to sing out - Dual plane boss - dual plane. ...
    Take a breath

  3. #18
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    HI
    Already have the AFR heads 195 comp .600 lift 310cfm . After speaking with Tony Mamo these canbe made to flow more 325cfm at lift ? [at a cost]
    I already have a mild 230/236 110 lsa with a dualplain airgap . I might be able to use these elsewhere or I could sell them as they are new . All recommendations were the 230/236 cam was the last that retained good vacuum and a fairly good balanced TQ curve b4 and after PEAK Tq . Although I wish the cam had tighter LSA .[better suited to the engine size ]

    The retailer in ozzy ****ed me around that much 9 mths++ for cam and heads . I was glad to get them really.

    In review I might go with the AFR single plain after giving it more thought . The resistance to a single plain mainly was 1/ very little selection available for under bonnet that are not a 20yo++ design and with poor port /runner size and taper for my application . The RPM best suited to smaller cuin situations IMO [ portsize 1205]. The vic jr is an old design which apparently matches to the 1205 port size also . Neither are ideal . Matching ports is ok but changing manifold taper is best left alone.

    Any manifold recommendations for a single plain that does not stick outta the bonnet of a Q.?


    No good drag strips within 500kms so has to be a good driver .

  4. #19
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    HI
    Actrol

    U just answered your own question . More dumbass comments . Still no positive comments ,but then again would not expect any less .


    Meanwhile back on topic …. the rest of us get on with it

  5. #20
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2 View Post
    ... to BOTH members going the man and NOT the message,
    I would suggest if you continue, a nice holiday is coming your way

    free too ! ... as we will be from the tripe and personal comments
    you are subjecting the rest of us to.


    ps
    Actrol, you should really get the Queen's English correct
    before using it for barbs at another member...

    "again your not too bright" ..... is not quite right!
    My Grade 3 English teacher would have laid the ruler on
    if I said/spoke that. "again, you're not too bright"
    gets 100% for spelling , zero for courtesy though

    Please keep it nice ....
    Dear Smity

    Your grace has steered this sinking ship onto rocks that only cocks like you can

    I wish you many more more years of trivial piques

    **** Off and stitch your arse up

    That should do it

  6. #21
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    15,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    HI
    Already have the AFR heads 195 comp .600 lift 310cfm . After speaking with Tony Mamo these canbe made to flow more 325cfm at lift ? [at a cost]
    I already have a mild 230/236 110 lsa with a dualplain airgap . I might be able to use these elsewhere or I could sell them as they are new . All recommendations were the 230/236 cam was the last that retained good vacuum and a fairly good balanced TQ curve b4 and after PEAK Tq . Although I wish the cam had tighter LSA .[better suited to the engine size ]

    The retailer in ozzy ****ed me around that much 9 mths++ for cam and heads . I was glad to get them really.

    In review I might go with the AFR single plain after giving it more thought . The resistance to a single plain mainly was 1/ very little selection available for under bonnet that are not a 20yo++ design and with poor port /runner size and taper for my application . The RPM best suited to smaller cuin situations IMO [ portsize 1205]. The vic jr is an old design which apparently matches to the 1205 port size also . Neither are ideal . Matching ports is ok but changing manifold taper is best left alone.

    Any manifold recommendations for a single plain that does not stick outta the bonnet of a Q.?


    No good drag strips within 500kms so has to be a good driver .
    All good manifolds will stick out, I dont have a Q so I cant say ... I would do a Super Vic or Holley strip dominator, maybe with a drop base filter.. Someone else might know.. Dont bother spending $$ chasing flow. The cam is part # 08-432-8 right? Its a cast iron or austempered core, are you running the springs supplied with the heads? Nothing wrong with a 20 yr old design really, the vic jr is a tiny single plane though thats the only problem...

    Are you looking at making 450HP at 5800 and 500LBS at 4200? It will do that, it will rev up slow, and with a 2500 stall and highway gears it'll run 13s at the drag strip.. Thats with the dual plane, but you have to be careful on the springs with the cast iron cams, I troweled one when I put too much pressure, I'll never use anything but billet now
    Last edited by paulzig; 07-02-2019 at 09:46 PM.

  7. #22
    Do you ever leave? immortality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,101

    Default

    Oh dear.

  8. #23
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    9,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Actrol View Post
    Dear Smity

    Your grace has steered this sinking ship onto rocks that only cocks like you can

    I wish you many more more years of trivial piques

    **** Off and stitch your arse up

    That should do it
    oh dear... me thinks he might be a tad upset and emotional,
    certainly NOT being civil and courteous. Sure has grabbed his bat
    and ball and obviously wants to get off here and go home.

    As I said, don't go the man and he has deliberately
    chosen to ignore that. Bye... off to home you go.
    Last edited by Smitty2; 07-02-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM
    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

  9. #24
    Do you ever leave? immortality's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,101

    Default

    Swampy. maybe I missed something but looking at the math in the OP you are looking at a 400cu chev?

    If so, I believe Engine Masters did a few tests on 400 chevys using those afr heads as well as comparing single and dual plane intakes etc. You might have to check out a few different episodes to get all the combinations though.

  10. #25
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    HI
    Hard to find example of 400 most are 383 or 427 . Neither are an ideal engine bore stroke etc

    Unusually enough there are examples of 396 small blocks 4 inch stroke also.

    Online 460 thru to 550hp for this combo +/-
    480--520hp is a common result
    with a dual plain and the standard 195 street heads.
    Most of the compressions were around 10:1 online
    Common cams seem tobe 230/236 or 236/242 on LSA 110 with a lot of 1.5 rockers

    Power Improvements over the above example are
    full forged bottom end
    Q/Fuel 780 SS carb
    single plain manifold
    195 competition heads 2.08 valve
    10.7 compression flat top pistons 70cc combustion [most street 400 use dish tops ]
    1.65 rockers
    file fit rings
    programable ignition curve
    The other improvement should have been a cam of 236/242 with say 104-108LSA == would have to run vacuum brake assist

    The heads springs will take up to around 630-lift .. Over that I exceed the 380--400lbs open set pressure max limit on the hydraulic roller lifter
    Springs are maxed out as well.

    Depending on cost, the low rise Afr manifold is the go .
    I would not hesitate if I was poking above bonnet to go super victor ver 1 or 2 or similar ..dream`n

    All over again I would have purchased the larger heads with extra flow mods thru Tony Mamo
    220cc 2.18 mcsa can ya say 340cfm peak hp 6500rpm = I can see a solid cam in my future
    Last edited by swampy; 08-02-2019 at 02:40 AM.

  11. #26
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    15,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    HI


    The heads springs will take up to around 630-lift .. Over that I exceed the 380--400lbs open set pressure max limit on the hydraulic roller lifter
    Springs are maxed out as well.
    Ok so, you have a cam that is .510/.520 thats already over .100, so you wont be anywhere near the 400lbs, you say OVER that exceeds 400LBS so where exactly is max open and coil bind on these springs and what is the installed height, you could be more than .100 to .150 away from bind and your pressures could also be way too low... Spring surge or valve bounce can make it seem like the engine is nosing over because of the heads too... This is why you never should buy assembled heads with springs 'good for' x amount of lift...

    Are you planning on assembling this engine yourself?

  12. #27
    been here .......too long Smitty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bayside Melbourne
    Posts
    9,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    ................... This is why you never should buy assembled heads with springs 'good for' x amount of lift...

    ......................
    that is a very good point!
    __________________________________
    ONE OF THE Aussie V8 MODERATOR/ADMIN TEAM
    Never late in an AussieV8!
    Club circuit racing...the best fun you can have with your pants on

  13. #28
    Part of the furniture
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    HI



    AFR-8017 Hydraulic Roller No Stripe
    1.290 OD .685 ID
    140 lbs. @ 1.810 356 lbs. @ 1.210
    Premium Grade Chrome Silicon PAC Racing Springs Dual Spring
    1.000inch 360lbs .600 lift
    6300-6500

    coil bind 1 inch== calculated running .210 lift ,seems to much clearance AFr said I could reduce .60--.80 if the open seat lbs were ok

    On a standard H/roller lifter 380/400lbs max seat pressure from Comp and others

    Current springs would be ok for 236/242 1.65 rocker ratio .600 lift
    Have not checked out 242/248

  14. #29
    427
    427 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    445

    Default

    They should give you a matching spring number on the cam card..

  15. #30
    Do you ever leave? EH179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ipswich. QLD
    Posts
    3,951

    Default

    Swampy, you are overthinking this... it's a little Hyd' roller cam, that doesn't require unobtanium springs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Valve spring selection? VN head 308 280-2
    By Fieds83 in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-01-2019, 03:31 PM
  2. Cylinder head machining
    By Bmodel in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-08-2015, 10:14 PM
  3. Cylinder head codes
    By Yeatesy in forum Ford V8's
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-06-2009, 03:16 PM
  4. cylinder head ID
    By misy in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-05-2009, 10:03 PM
  5. Cylinder Head Porting
    By stouty77 in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-10-2007, 07:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •