Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wauchope
    Posts
    104

    Default Getting air to carby

    Hi all

    Just wondering what my options are for getting more fresh air to the carby without chopping a hole in the bonnet or running a reverse cowl. The temps in the engine bay are quite high and I think the engine is starved of fresh air which I suspect is making the tune rich and fouls the plugs regularly.

    Thanks

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    572

    Default

    hi
    what car /engine/ carb??
    All engine bays provide hot air . The air will NOT BE as dense /compact . Typically a little lean .
    In severe cases engine pinging and detonation can result
    The only advantage is for a carb engine when cold then hot air helps atomization of fuel.
    Once engine is warm cool air is desired as mentioned .

    Most factory carb efi setups have ducting to cool air .
    If after market carb u can buy ducting ,air horns ,piping etc etc to reach freshair

  3. #3
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wauchope
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    hi
    what car /engine/ carb??
    All engine bays provide hot air . The air will NOT BE as dense /compact . Typically a little lean .
    In severe cases engine pinging and detonation can result
    The only advantage is for a carb engine when cold then hot air helps atomization of fuel.
    Once engine is warm cool air is desired as mentioned .

    Most factory carb efi setups have ducting to cool air .
    If after market carb u can buy ducting ,air horns ,piping etc etc to reach freshair
    VF, Mild 318, holley 650 DP

    It seems excessively hot in the engine bay is all. Im sure the fuel isnt atomizing as there is quite a strong fuel smell in the engine bay (no leaks to be found)



    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Hi
    The carb needs tunning with an air/fuel meter first . Running rich mixtures won`t help==poor atomization . main jet /accel pump etc .
    accel pump and power valve 12.5--13-5 to 1
    primary main jet 13.5--14.5 to 1-- cruise
    Insulator spacers /gaskets [1/4 inch and thicker] [between carb and manifold ] might help .

  5. #5
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wauchope
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    Hi
    The carb needs tunning with an air/fuel meter first . Running rich mixtures won`t help==poor atomization . main jet /accel pump etc .
    accel pump and power valve 12.5--13-5 to 1
    primary main jet 13.5--14.5 to 1-- cruise
    Insulator spacers /gaskets [1/4 inch and thicker] [between carb and manifold ] might help .
    Its been tuned at lakeside automotive in melbourne, took 3 attempts to get it somewhat right. They could get the afr nice while the bonnet was up but as soon as the bonnet was closed the mixture went rich and where it is at now is as good as they could get it without it being too lean. I'll try to get hold of a spacer and investigate a way to direct more air from somewhere.

    Thanks

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nth Qld
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Hi
    air filter size and the type of housing is important.
    14x2.5 is the absolute minimum
    The air cleaner base has to have as little drop as possible . Over about 1 1/4 bases become restrictive /not as effective

    The primaries if choke horn equipped may be sitting to close to the underside of air cleaner top . Not enough air by default then == to much fuel

  7. #7
    casual poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wauchope
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    Hi
    air filter size and the type of housing is important.
    14x2.5 is the absolute minimum
    The air cleaner base has to have as little drop as possible . Over about 1 1/4 bases become restrictive /not as effective

    The primaries if choke horn equipped may be sitting to close to the underside of air cleaner top . Not enough air by default then == to much fuel
    I've got a 14x2 with the filter element top hat with a 1 1/4 drop base. It didnt run as well with the metal hat.

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Part of the furniture gtrboyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,064

    Default

    Some old fords had twin snorkels to draw in air...should be able to get or make aftermarket version.

    Might work better than what you have if scoops etc are a big no.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 304 carby, What cam?????
    By SKR in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31-07-2011, 09:22 PM
  2. C@s Aerosol 900 Methanol Race Carby Awesome Carby
    By mark350torana in forum For Sale Items
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM
  3. carby on a 253
    By wb1tonner in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 05:31 PM
  4. TPS on carby 308
    By gregstar in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-11-2008, 06:27 PM
  5. carby to efi
    By vnss89 in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 13-02-2007, 04:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •