Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 83
  1. #1
    casual poster MudPlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    95

    Default Crane 286 or 226?

    Goin to use one of these cams....had a 286 in my Vk about 10 -12 years ago...L34 spec heads, port matched redline maxitork manifold ,650dp ,flat tops,turbo 350 with stage 2 shift kit,2500 stally and 3.55 gears and to me felt like a slug.......lots of noise with no go......Sounded tough as but just felt boggy to me so was reluctant to go there again but everywhere i read people harp like they are the best thing since sliced bread. This time will be a very similar setup just with a trimatic with 2500 stally,L34 heads with 1.65 YT roller rockers and a 3.7 dif or something alike as i have nine inch this time.The 2 cams seem a very similar rev range but i have read ppl saying the 226 is alot more torquey.....just after any input....
    Last edited by MudPlow; 18-04-2012 at 11:53 AM.

  2. #2
    Do you ever leave? Mickss355's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hampton park
    Posts
    8,713

    Default

    To run a big cam you need compression - just fitting flat tops with standard decks won't cut it !
    Then if you want it punchy off the line to need to run as much initial timing as the combo can handle without pinging - this will sharpen up the bottom end and also give you decent vacuum !
    For instance - my 355 with 10.8 to 1 comp and a solid cam similar to the 280 ran 24 deg initial and 34 deg total timing and no vac advance.
    The final tune should be done on a dyno simply because it saves you days of stuffing around guessing !

  3. #3
    254RWHP boat anchor EVL253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    bathurst
    Posts
    3,807

    Default

    what's your compression ratio? 2500 stall ain't much
    I love Prius drivers cause I need their share of the fuel supply!

  4. #4
    casual poster MudPlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    95

    Default

    in my vk it was 10.1 comp and i always adv the timing till its a little hard to crank over and doesnt ping....I just leave the dizzy so i can move it back or forward if i need and just move it bit by bit till it stops pinging.....I also never run vac advance....And for this engine not sure what comp it is as i didnt build it i was just told it had wayne gardner racing pistons in it ...whatever they are lol....and as far as the stally goes i thought you really only need to stall up to the beginning of the cam rev range...eg 2500-6500 but again do correct me if i am wrong lol.....when i looked at the car i did a comp test and got 150 in all 8 cyl which i thought was pretty high...

  5. #5
    Part of the furniture HQ308Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    10.5 and 3000 stall for the 286 minimum.
    the 286 is a Chev grind i believe, it works but theres better grinds out there.

  6. #6
    Do you ever leave? Mickss355's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hampton park
    Posts
    8,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HQ308Ute View Post
    10.5 and 3000 stall for the 286 minimum.
    the 286 is a Chev grind i believe, it works but theres better grinds out there.
    Agreed - the 286 is like the cheese burger of cams hahahaha

  7. #7
    Part of the furniture JoeVK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    150psi is not enough compression, esp for a 308 with a 226 or 286 cam

  8. #8
    Do you ever leave? Mickss355's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hampton park
    Posts
    8,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MudPlow View Post
    in my vk it was 10.1 comp and i always adv the timing till its a little hard to crank over and doesnt ping....I just leave the dizzy so i can move it back or forward if i need and just move it bit by bit till it stops pinging.....I also never run vac advance....And for this engine not sure what comp it is as i didnt build it i was just told it had wayne gardner racing pistons in it ...whatever they are lol....and as far as the stally goes i thought you really only need to stall up to the beginning of the cam rev range...eg 2500-6500 but again do correct me if i am wrong lol.....when i looked at the car i did a comp test and got 150 in all 8 cyl which i thought was pretty high...
    I think you missed the point on dizzy timing - you simply can't just advance the dizzy till it pings and then back it off till it stops.
    What you need to do is have your car dyno tuned to the best total timing for that engine combo - then you shorten the advance curve so your initial timing is higher without pinging or increasing the total timing !
    This is because a stock dizzy has a timing curve that's too long so you may get close to the right total timing by your method but but your initial timing will still be too retarded to give your engine the snap its supposed to have - like i said before, my dizzy runs from 24 initial to 34 total so that's 10 degree's of mechanical advance.
    A stock dizzy has around 25 degree's of mechanical advance - Capish ?

    You can read my post on how to graph you own dizzy for a more detailed explanation
    Last edited by Mickss355; 18-04-2012 at 06:47 PM.

  9. #9
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    12,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVK View Post
    150psi is not enough compression, esp for a 308 with a 226 or 286 cam
    F-ck how true is that, 150psi wont blow out a candle in a performance engine ... The less cylinder pressure you have at cranking speed the LESS acceleration the engine will have at the lower RPM range ..

    Cylinder pressure is TORQUE, you can have it high or low whatever you want but if it aint there your engine will be a soggy pile of crap ...

    Low cylinder pressure by overcamming, low static compression ratio results will be average at best ...

  10. #10
    Do you ever leave? Mickss355's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hampton park
    Posts
    8,713

    Default

    And what is it with these engine builders that won't recommend or fit flat tops in 308's and especially 355's ?
    I had a hell of a time with my engine builder over it - in the end I simply said " mate, I know you've got some decent runs on the board but, not gunna happen" hahahaha
    Last edited by Mickss355; 18-04-2012 at 07:33 PM.

  11. #11
    casual poster MudPlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    95

    Default

    SO would a scorcher dizzy out of the box need recurving? Again it was on the motor not sure if its been recurved or what, also what compession should i be running in a 308 then? most people i have spoken to and threads i have read have all ranged from 130 - 175,180.Next question is what should i do now to boost the compression then? Without pulling the bottom end apart
    Last edited by MudPlow; 18-04-2012 at 07:50 PM.

  12. #12
    Do you ever leave? paulzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    12,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickss355 View Post
    And what is it with these engine builders that won't recommend or fit flat tops in 308's and especially 355's ?
    I had a hell of a time with my engine builder over it - in the end I simply said " mate, I know you've got some decent runs on the board but, not gunna happen" hahahaha
    They gotta cover their arses Mick .. No one makes a good living doing hand grenade engines, the customer will go around stuffin with the tune

  13. #13
    Do you ever leave? Mickss355's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hampton park
    Posts
    8,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulzig View Post
    They gotta cover their arses Mick .. No one makes a good living doing hand grenade engines, the customer will go around stuffin with the tune
    Wasn't his problem Paul, i choice of cam and supplied the right springs for the heads plus i screwed it together and i tuned it so anything went wrong it was my doing.

  14. #14
    Do you ever leave? Mickss355's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hampton park
    Posts
    8,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MudPlow View Post
    SO would a scorcher dizzy out of the box need recurving? Again it was on the motor not sure if its been recurved or what, also what compession should i be running in a 308 then? most people i have spoken to and threads i have read have all ranged from 130 - 175,180.Next question is what should i do now to boost the compression then? Without pulling the bottom end apart
    You cant boost the compression with out a strip down unless maybe if you put a baby cam in it assuming the rings and valves are sealing.

    As for what comp ratio you need - well that would depend on the cam you want to use.
    I've run 11 to 1 on the street in a 308 with a cam similar to the crane 280 solid cam and the thing was as sharp as a razor - with 2800 stall, jazzed up trimatic and 3.5 to 1 9 inch, it made 235 rwhp with L34 heads ported and revved to 7000 all day long and the inlet manifold wasn't even a TP - it was just a crappy old Redline Maxitork i had just laying around and thought "yeh that'll do"

  15. #15
    casual poster stouty77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Townsville Queensland
    Posts
    174

    Default

    mick have you got more specs on your engine to achieve 10.8 comp
    definition of expert. Ex is an unknown quantity, spert is a drip under pressure, Which one are you

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. crane cam
    By mid11s in forum For Sale Items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-11-2011, 01:57 PM
  2. Crane cam 272 or 280?
    By epitaph in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 13-10-2009, 10:27 PM
  3. MSD 6AL or Crane Hi-6
    By HGsurf in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-01-2009, 09:14 AM
  4. Crane CCH 286 cam W.A
    By russxr67 in forum For Sale Items
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-04-2008, 07:07 PM
  5. c.o.m.e. or crane ?
    By Q boat in forum Holden V8's
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •